Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road Review


"I live, I die. I live again." - Nux
 I have rarely seen a good car chase sequence in films. In the past I saw car chases as cheesy and simply used to fill in time with confusing angles and nothing to add to the plot. Mad Max: Fury Road is essentially a two-hour car chase and I enjoyed every second of it.
This movie takes place in a post apocalyptic world where men are brain washed warriors and women are trapped for their milk and to breed. This is the story of a group of women leady by Furiosa (Charlize Theron) escaping this prison in hope for their version of a “promised land”. Through a series of events Max (Tom Hardy) joins this group and assists them on their quest to escape.
My adrenaline rose from the first chase scene that captured the essence of the film and stayed high until the very end. Through good pacing and direction the film was able to keep my attention throughout the entirety of the film. What really kept my attention were all of the realistic effects that were created using real props. It is a visual spectacle to see a car actually blow up on screen in the middle of a chase.
One interesting thing to note is that this movie is technically the fourth in its series. The first film came out in 1979 with the next two coming shortly after. Due to behind the scenes delays this new film has taken years to come to the screen. Luckily for the audience you don’t need to have seen the other films to be able to enjoy this latest installment. It was created to stand apart from the rest so that anyone new to Mad Max (such as myself) could also enjoy the film.
Through amazing special effects to the creation of an intriguing world Mad Max: Fury Road created an experience to truly kick off the summer. Although there wasn’t a strong story line there was enough action to keep any viewer entertained. I would recommend this to any fan of film.
Four out of Five Stars
*This film passes the Bechdel Test

No comments:

Post a Comment